September 15, 2008:
Flying to Pokhara
Got up at 6 am had a shower and packed my backpack. Also packed my duffelbag which I left in the hotel.
After breakfast I called my wife again. I was surprised to be able to get her on the phone. As it turned out,
our phone at the house worked, but no electricity...weird. Everything was ok back home, she confirmed
that we had no damage at all from the hurricane although it went right over Houston.
At 8 am, Basant's driver showed up and we left my hotel. We went to Suzi's guesthouse, picked her up
and went to the domestic airport. We checked in and went through the extremely thorough security
(women were checked but not the men). Our plane took off at 10:15 am. The flight only took 22 minutes
and we had nice views of Manaslu and Peak 29 on our right.
After landing in Pokhara, we got our bags and a driver for the Mera Hotel was waiting for us outside the
terminal. Our rooms were not ready yet as we were early, so we went to an internet cafe for a while.
Around noon our room were ready and then we drove over to the International Mountaineering Museum
which was quite interesting.
Had a late lunch at the Boomerang restaurant located
right at the Phewa lake. We had a leisurely time there
sitting, eating and watching the scenery. Suzi wanted
to go on a paddle boat, so we went over to the pier
and rented one for an hour for 200 rupees. The water
of the lake was quite warm. While on the lake, the
clouds lifted and we could see Annapurna South and
Machhapuchhre. We went to the island in the middle
of the lake. There is a temple on it which we visited.
Back on land, we went shopping for snacks for the trek. We had
dinner at around 7 pm at an Italian place at the main road, I
forgot the name. We were sitting outside upstairs. Suzi had a
steak and I had a pizza. As we had a late lunch, I was not able to
finish the pizza. Made another call to my wife and then went
back to the hotel. It was very noisy in the hotel as there were
several bars around the Mera Hotel playing loud music.